Old 20-03-2011, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Gardeners' World

In article , afjohnson@geotrans-
online.de says...

On 19.03.2011 20:24, Jake wrote:

I'm beginning to get worried that my news provider is losing stuff as,
apart from one more or less casual mention within a post about
something else, I haven't seen any real talk about the new Gardeners'
World series and we're now just past episode 2.

So (assuming I haven't missed anything and apologies if I have), my
thoughts to, maybe, start a discussion:

I saw the first two issues of GW and, after almost abandoning hope over
the past year or so, thought they were very watchable.

No overexuberant galavanting about, no "you can make this piece of junk
for your garden in half an hour". There's something for the more
advanced (fanatic) gardener, at least, that's what I always think of the
visits to 5 acre gardens. Not that I mind much, the visits are often
interesting, I just don't think they relate to every(wo)man's garden
very well.

One of the aspects of Monty's garden that does relate to all, was that
it shows how much can be achieved at minimal cost; the lime walk grown
from 50p slips, the hedges and topiary grown from cuttings, the patchwork
paths made with odd slabs and bricks, and the home-made compost; ladders
up an apple tree which he planted very small just a few years ago.

It's the complete opposite of
all those rushed instant gardens designed to ring up the tills for
sponsors and garden centres.

Janet