Old 20-03-2011, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Gardeners' World

On 19/03/2011 19:24, Jake wrote:
(gigantic snip)

But overall, I think the two episodes so far look very promising.

So that's my half-penny's worth. What do others think?

Jake

I've seen the first two episodes now and am better impressed than I
expected to be. Monty seems to be a good, enthusiastic, all-round
gardener, but he never seemed to be at ease at Berryfields. Now,in his
own *lovely* garden he seems much more comfortable. It is interesting to
hear the background story for each smaller plot, tree or feature.
Indeed, I almost wish I'd been a spider on the wall earlier on, at the
design stage. The good side of seeing it as a mature garden, is that we
will get to see decisions about older plants, and also see the pruning
regime to rejuvenate them, or how he deals with redesigning a 'tired' area.

The up-close-to-camera work with root cuttings was useful, as was the
division sequence. Many of us here know how to do that, but it's good
for new gardeners to learn it, and also serves as a reminder to us old
timers *when* to do it.

Carol, as always, is great value. She really knows how to use plants
and talks knowledgeably about them. As for Rachel and Joe, they are
less experienced, less charasmatic presenters. I think time will
improve them both. I don't mind in the least if Rachel wears gloves
while gardening (I do; I have a garden full of glass), but I *wish*
she'd get her hair out of the way! Joe, alas, has no such problem, but
he's just not my kind of gardener. I know lots of people who really
like him. Indeed, I find myself liking him better than I once did.

All in all, I think it's going to be very watchable.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London