Old 21-03-2011, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DogDiesel DogDiesel is offline

Default Growing days.

"The Cook" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 04:09:11 -0400, "DogDiesel"
wrote:

Growing days.

Is growing days the days from when you plant. Or from when they pop out.

Diesel.

Usually it is from the time you plant outside. If you normally plant
seeds it is from that time. If you start plants inside (or buy
plants) it is from the time they are set out.

But it all depends on the weather and maybe the soil conditions. And
some plants will only produce fruit when the temperatures are within a
certain range. For tomatoes the temperatures must be between 55° and
95°F for them to set fruit. Last year my husband decided to buy a
larger tomato plant. He set it out. The ones I started late from
seed in the greenhouse and were significantly smaller when set out
produced at just about the same time. Both were Better Boy.

So don't count on having a particular veggie on a particular day.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Thats a particular problem for me. Because it seems I leave my veggies in
too long . I was hoping to use the growing days guideline and pull them to
the day.