Old 21-03-2011, 01:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default On Microclimates

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:06:30 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

gardenlen wrote:
yes it all starts with knowing about and being able to identify the
aspects of the land, ie.,. northern hemi' ideal would be a southern
aspect around to eastern. add some knowledge of average weather
conditions eg.,. rainfall an you can have a producing garden in an
area that say gets more rain than other near by places.

then the right sort of house needs to be built for the climate area so
it is truely efficient to run. lots of stumbling block in there as
many have no idea to even look for aspect let alone what it is, and
outside the indoctrinated mcmansion designs very many won't look at
altenatives.

so when buying property use the head and not the heart, the heart can
come later, develop a criteria. the orientation of the house on the
property counts.

Quite right Len. So many houses, even newly erected, contain basic errors
that could easily be avoided. For example, they are oriented towards the
street or the view not the sun, or in hot climates they have unshaded
sunward windows. I know of people who are saving money by not including
insulation but they worry whether the portico should have Ionic or
Corinthian columns, of course they plan for aircon to deal with their design
errors. Such carelessness and ignorance will come back and bite them and
their heirs and successors.

Something else to consider is using the garden to improve the house. It is
common for people to assume that this means only the aspect and decorating
concepts such as linking the outdoors into the house. The plants that you
grow can do all that as well as improving the thermal performance of the
house. For example you can shade a sun-facing window in summer but allow in
the sun in winter by having a trellis with a deciduous vine over it.

David

I admit that we got the best orientation when we bought this house.
But it was luck. The house faces the west and we have two very large
Oak trees in the front yard. The deck is on the back and gets the
morning sun. By late afternoon the deck is completely shaded and
comfortable unless the day is extremely hot. We got one of the
sunshade awnings and roll it out early in the day to keep the heat out
of the kitchen and family room.

If I were looking for a building lot I would be checking out the
orientation and prevailing winds. Then see if I could build the kind
of house and orientation I wanted there. If I were planning to garden
I would also think about orientation & winds.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills