Old 21-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Bean Bean is offline
Registered User

Default It is safe to use old decking to make veg planters?

Hi,
I am just about to have a new patio built on the back of my house which will involve removing a small decking area. The decking area was built sometime before I moved into the house 3 and a half years ago.
The decking wood looks like it could make several movable raised planters for me to grow vegetables in on the new patio (I don't want to put the veg in the earth as I have no idea what it has been treated with in the past). This has the potential of saving me 70 quid per planter, as well as reusing materials rather than throwing them out in a builders skip.
I have been reading up on pressure treated wood and it's dangers and obviously don't want to grow veg that could poison us.
And so, finally to my question:
Is there a way to find out if the decking wood was treated with CCA without sending it to a lab, and if there isn't does anyone know of a lab that doesn't cost a fortune to test such a thing?

Many thanks for any advice on this.

Bean