Old 21-03-2011, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default About to Spring

Billy wrote:

So wat'cha growin'? Any thing different, or are you going for as much of
what you want as you can? (That's a sentence, isn't it?)

I know it's just you, but how many do you grow for?

I got onions coming up. The kale get bigger every day. The borage is up.
The potatoes are up, and pesky. I tried to rotate them, and it isn't
working out very well. They'll stay in the same bed every year now,
until I have a problem with them.

The bed I had them in is my best bed, and I presently have it seeded
with rye and buckwheat. It will be tomatoes and peppers, this year, and
next year I'll be able to do a proper rotation.

Not much different than last year for the veggie gardens. i probably will
not grow carrots or potatoes this year, so cheap in the stores and I do use
that much. Fewer tomatoes and more lettuces, cucumbers, green beans and
peas. I am going try more fruits like blackberries and blueberries.

In my veggie seed kits right now are peppers, King of the North (new for
me), Orange bells, Purple beauty, Banana and JalapeƱo. Tomato: Roma,
Cherry 100, Bonny best, beefsteak, and I will try once more brandywine.

Next week will start my lettuces in seed kits: Butercrunch and Romaine.
Other kitchen lettuces like Arugula and other will be direct seed in the
ground. I think i will have a section 4x4 feet just for spinach, for
cooking and fresh eating. My chickens love lettuce so I will grow lots of
it.

Flowers in kits now in 48 cells each: Coleus (scarlet yellow), Blue
trailing petunias, Red Salvias, Big Red Geranium, Impatiens (wild thing),
impatiens ((cherry splash), marigold (lemon), marigold (disco), Zinnias
(Mixed). The marigolds and zinnias were seed saved from last year, too easy
to do.

After buying hay from others during the winter. I have noticed some hay is
better than others. I will looking at ways to improve my own hay fields. In
the past my seventy year old neighbor was taking care of it because I did
not have the equipment. I will be taking over that task now that I have a
cow. So I will be looking a ways for improving the soil for the hay field
in the future. I do not have enough chickens to help spread the cow
patties. I am thinking about a manure spreader. Since retirement my funds
are really really tight. Not to mention about getting home milk
pasteurizer, yogurt and cheese making equipment. Bessy is expensive, I just
do not know a about her worth.