Old 21-03-2011, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Ivy

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:36:52 +0000, Charlie2
wrote:

Green leaf ivy,or it was now dead and formed an 8ft x 12ft border hedge
to ours and aunts garden. Died off over two years ago, hoped new growth
would emerge, nothing.
Blackberries, a rose and some blue flowered, shrub types, growing in
hedge so not poisoned ground. Could it be age of the plants they were
quite old as the base trunk is around 2.5-3 inches on four out of around
six that form the hedge. Any ideas what might have killed them off?.f
Thanks
Charlie2

Ivy does not on its own form an 8 x 12 hedge. Ivy has to climb up and
cling to something and if, as your post suggests, the bulk of the
hedge was ivy then things like blackberries and roses would be snuffed
out by it or flattened as they aren't strong enought to bear the
weight of that amount of ivy.

Ivy is notoriously difficult to kill once established. I've never
known it to just die. Generally the plain green variety is tougher
than old boots though some variegated varieties are a bit more tender
until established. I have an "indoor" ivy growing happily around, and
into, my garden pond and needing to be drastically cut back every
year.

On the basis of your description, I'm wondering whether what died was
actually ivy.