Old 22-03-2011, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Planting on a Steep Slope

songbird wrote:
Alex H wrote:

What I'm looking for is low growing, drought resistant planting that
will put the neighbours off walking on it. So far we've come up with
lavender and rosemary, but these both become woody with age and need to
be replaced, which I'd rather not do.

Any other suggestions please?

juniper (low spiky evergreen), but it spreads out and
would also need some trimming once in a while.

hens and chicks

any of several sedums (pick a color or mix several).

plant species tulips and other bulbs
underneath. they'd love this sort of
micro climate, use rocks to create
ledges and terraces to create some
variety and to keep things in place.

the bulbs look nice when they peek through
the cracks and rocks in the spring and after
they die back you still have some rocks to
look at instead of a slope. the rocks will
discourage casual foot traffic (or you could
actually put in rock steps with gaps for
plantings).

good luck,

songbird

Just some thoughts, few people would walk through shrub rose bushes. As for
drought resistant not sure. On a steep slope one could create artificial
landscaping Swales or berms to hold back the water. Creating artificial
Swales are not easy to create.