Old 21-03-2011, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Topsoil or Compost

anthony123hopki wrote:
Hi

I have 3 raised beds. They need topping up after settling with about
3/4 of a ton of material. I'm not sure whether to just chuck in pure
compost, or topsoil, or a mix. Does sterilised/sieved topsoil from
garden centres have any nutrients in at all? Clearly compost has
plenty but it doesn't last that long.

Any help much appreciated.

It depends on the quality of what you have and what you want to grow in the
beds. The nutrient content of commercial topsoil is very variable, it can
be anything from quite ordinary to excellent. Perhaps there is somebody
local (garden club?) who can show you how to assess such things?

How do you know you need 3/4 of a ton? Bulk materials like this are usually
sold by volume and the weight will vary according to content and moisture.
Consider if it will be cheaper in the long run to buy a truck load and have
some left over for other purposes than buy bags.

David