Old 21-03-2011, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Homebase Compost

On Mar 21, 5:06*pm, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In Homebase the other day I was tempted by their buy 3 get 4th free
offer of multipurpose compost, 60 litres.

Opening a bag at the weekend, I find it seems to contain lots of thing
wood branches about 5cms long, and 2mm in diameter, lots of matted
material that looks a bit like bark and lots of slivers of what I think
is a soft wood, its white about 1 cm long and between 3 and 5 mm wide.

I can not imagine trying to plant seedling or seeds in such rubbish and
I would take it back if I had the receipt still, and if it were a bit
nearer home.

Beware!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Sounds to me as if you have got wood chip mulch by mistake, I'd take
it back and complain.
Best compost around is still B & Q peat based multi pourpous compost,
120 litr bales, bought on a Wednesday with over 60's discount. though
they had 20 litr bags on offer the other weekend for £1.00 each
For seed and cuttings, seive through 1/2 inch mesh, add pearlite and
mix well.
DONT try their peat free, it is junk.