Old 22-03-2011, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DogDiesel DogDiesel is offline

Default Gardens and Worms !

"Snag" wrote in message
DogDiesel wrote:

Hi , Snag, I just wanted to say Hi. , Because I started out last
year with Ruth Stouts books in hand. To control weed issues. And
have less work. So I put down the hay and straw and ground cover and
overall I've had good success. Id be very interested in what you
think of Ruth Stouts garden philosophy. And if you read more then her
first book. Because I'm still using the hay as mulch

Diesel.

I used her (first , apparently) book way back in the early 80's , didn't
realize she's written more . I just like the idea of using organic
material to control weeds , which also ends up enriching the soil .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Exactly. Well then you did like me . Use the first book. My issue was
morning glories, which in her next books kind of pointed out some flaws in
her first book. Such as morning glories and switch grass and a couple other
weeds wouldn't get stopped by deep mulch. But nevertheless its still
relevant as mulch gardening is mulch gardening. Billy posted the book
below and its a more or less an updated mulch book gardening book. Think
advanced Ruth stout. Or how Ruth stout would build a layered mulch garden.
But its nowhere near as fun to read as Ruth's books. Her writing style is
at least 75% of the fun. You might want to find it somehow, or her later
books. even if its library. .

Lasagna (No Dig) Gardening, a.k.a. Sheet
Mulching.