Old 22-03-2011, 10:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default bouncing a thought off you all

On 3/21/11 8:11 PM, songbird wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

We shred a lot of paper in my household and part of me keeps wondering
if there is something better than just sending it off with the weekly
recycling.

I've added it to the compost bin and to a few holes left by stump
removal with compost and such. While it doesn't break down quickly, it
does rot eventually.

BUT - I was wondering how it would work as a weed suppressing mulch. And
more importantly, if I soaked small batches with coffee grounds and tea
bags if I could make it look better at the same time

Thoughts folks?

if you don't like how it looks reserve
some soil when you work it in a patch and
then top off the area with the reserved
soil. if you don't have to disturb the
bed for a few weeks it should work.
throwing the coffee grounds on top of
this would also help perk things up
(haha, sorry couldn't resist ).

well mixed in, it will decay faster
than if it clumps together.

a thick layer on top that gets wet
and then dries will be pretty crusty
and might keep oxygen and water from
getting in later.

i don't like plastic bits in the gardens
i always take apart any plastic windowed
envelopes and throw away that part, but
the rest gets used (i think the worms like
the glue).

songbird

I already have a spot in mind to try this. And if it does tend to be
crusty, I'm going to see if it helps a kill off grass!

Cheryl