Old 22-03-2011, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Trees in conservation areas

On 21/03/2011 00:39, chris French wrote:
In message , Spider
writes
On 19/03/2011 16:54, kay wrote:
Does anyone have first-hand experience of gardening in a Conservation
Area?

(snipped)

I can assure you, it's not easy to live with ... or that is to say
it's not easy if you follow all the rules ;~}. We love trees and plant
them and do most of our own tree work, at least while we're still fit
enough. We do have to be a bit careful because, although we have
mostly gorgeous neighbours, there is someone who rats on others. To
make matters worse, our conservation rules apply to the whole property
so you can't put in new windows .. or build a wall .. or put your
washing out on the wrong day (yes, *really*!). I have come across a
few conservation areas like ours and they are not at all popular with
the locals.

No, but for your general conservation area those things aren't an issue

They are actually, Chris. Sunday is the day we're not allowed to put
out washing, and Sunday is the only day some people have free for that
job. There are other difficulties, but we just have to get on with it.
You're right, though. It is the other body that creates and enforces
these regulations, although the Council has to (unwillingly) toe the
line. Nevertheless, residents may have to approach the LA/Council *and*
this other body when tree issues arise. My immediate neighbour,
incidentally, had a fruit tree removed when it died and she had to plant
a tree of this Body's choosing in her front garden to replace the dead
one.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London