Old 24-03-2011, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Paw Paw trees

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:46:23 -0500, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:

Has anyone planted or seen Paw Paw trees growing?
I planted two today. I think they're in a good spot
where they will get enough water and have good soil.

Here's a link I found with some good information that
seems like they will grow in West Texas Zone 7.
http://www.blossomnursery.com/pawpaw_HABITAT.html

On March 13, I ordered from Burgess seed at www.eburgess.com
and expected then in two more weeks, but got them Monday and
have been rushing to plant.

6..Chestnut trees
4..Hazelnut trees
2..Paw Paw trees
2..Standard Elberta peach
2..Russian Mulberry

A nice selection. However they sell very young specimens, seedlings
really... I hope you are very young. I would have bought from a local
nursery, you'd spend a little more but at least you'd have trees. Even
decent sized balled/burlapped saplings (1" caliper) can take 3-4 years
to begin growing after the shock of transplanting and then some need
half a lifetime to become large enough to sit in their shade. I
planted a couple of sycamore seedlings nearly ten years ago, they are
still not really trees and sycamore is considered a very fast grower
(I planted London plane trees actually). Hazelnut can take at least
ten years to produce nuts, and it's not really a tree, hazelnut is
more like a bush. http://www.songonline.ca/nuts/hazelnuts.htm

Peach trees produce a lot quicker, but still I'd buy more mature
nursery stock, peach trees are rather inexpensive so why plant a
seeding and wait so long. Peach trees are also not very long lived,
something to consider if a specimen tree is what you have in mind. For
stone fruit trees I strongly recommend semi-dwarf.

Mulberry can be quite messy... don't plant near driveways/patios.

I had thought of planting paw paw trees but upon reading there was
something about them I didn't like, can't remember right now.

I planted a flowering chestnut last summer, I'm now waiting to see if
it leafs out this spring: http://i54.tinypic.com/2upxn55.jpg

Good luck with your new babies.