Old 24-03-2011, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Creative ideas for wall

In article ,
says...

On 24/03/2011 12:15, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

On 2011-03-24 10:32:11 +0000, said:

I'm going to put up a 1.2m high by 7.5m long wall at the back of the
garden. I'm going to use regular-sized house brick for the face of the
wall. I've not chose the brick style yet.

I was thinking about putting brick lights in every so often.

Anyone any creative ideas so I don't end up with a boring wall? Thanks.

Crenellation? A change in the brick-laying pattern every so often?
Interesting coping stones? 5 or 6 course higher-than-the-rest 'tower'
here and there along the length?

Also, I guess you could argue that I should be arranging for climbing
plants to go in front of the wall.

Are you aware of potential planning caveats and restrictions on a wall
that high?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...enceswallsgate
s/

Janet

Over one metre high requires permission if it adjoins a public highway I
think, though our bricklayer wasn't aware of that.

It would be annoying to spend as much time effort and money as R's plan
entails; then have to take it all down again on safety grounds etc.

Janet.