Old 26-02-2003, 03:27 AM
CWilde

Default Hellebores

I planted Lenten Roses in an eastern exposure where some primulas
would like a tiny bit more sun. In winter the nor-easters rip into
this cubby, but I allowed a gap there to funnel the wind directly
under the deck. Some pines to the north east may help too. The soil is
cool in summer with lovely shade from a honey locust. A neighbor just
cut lots of wood to the east. Good for those primulas, anyway. The
Lenten Roses amazed me last year.

Currently we had a record snow fall and this 'cool spot' now has 6 to
9 inches of crystalline ice left from 4 feet of drift. The hellebores
are plastered down there showing the worst of that, yet they are only
bended, and green stems begin to poking up as well. They seem to
bristle to break free, push forth anew, and set that marvel of blooms.
They know it is time and nor-easterly be hanged!

I saw the most remarkable garden picture yesterday, Helleborus
Foetidus (called stinking hellebore for it's leathery scented,
light-green flowers) and Dwarf Yellow Daffodils. To me this is the
perfect fix for shade, though the daffodils die back later of course.

Lenten Roses have such nice foliage I forget there are no summer
flowers when I sit on the deck stairs. I have some things I'd never
move. Well, there is more light in their nook now, hummmm, still, my
babies...

TK

TK

Like 3 years ago I ordered bare root stock from some catalog. Received three
roots, planted them in one of my shadiest spots. Only one made it (hopefully
it will still be there when spring finally starts showing up). I haven't
seen started plants anywhere around here, so I was thinking they must not
be well adapted to my area. Did you start with plants, roots, or seeds? What
climate zone are you in?

Carlotta
Iowa
zone 4/5