Old 25-03-2011, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael michael is offline

Default Quality of commercial pea seed

I have recently conducted an experiment to compare commercial pea
seed,bought 2011,with my own saved seed collected in 2008,and stored
in a paper bag in the garage.
In both cases 100 seeds were planted in a large seed tray as
follows.Tray filled to within 1/2" of top with my own compost.Peas
distributed evenly and pressed into compost and watered,then covered
with dry compost and put into a propagating bench set at about 20C.
My 2008 seed emerged after 6 days,and I counted 98/99 germinated
seeds.The commercial seed emerged a little later,after 10 days,but
with only 68 seed germinated.I have repeated the experiment with
almost identical results.
I can only conclude that the commercial seed was harvested
considerably earlier than 2008,or stored in poor conditions.
I am sure that many gardeners put pea seed germination failure down to
their own incompetence,but my experiment seems to show that newly
purchased seed is already quite old.
Should I complain to the seed company?
I would like to see a move towards seed companies noting on the
packets when the seed was harvested,not packed.
Michael