Old 25-03-2011, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default What should I pay (nephew) per metre of wall?

On 25/03/2011 12:57, Baz wrote:
wrote in :

My nephew is skilled (I think he is, he once had a business doing
landscaping) to build a 1.2m high by 7.5m long retaining wall. The wall
will probably be made of one two walls - a facing wall and a wall set
back, immediately adjacent to the soil. I'd say it needs to be about
30mm from front to back.

Lets say my nephew gets the materials at trade price, and I pay that
price for the materials. Of course, I'd want to pay my nephew a
reasonable and decent price for building the wall.

QUESTIONS: How much do you think I should pay my nephew per metre of
wall that represents a fair price, assuming he is not acting as a
business? What would be a fair price if my nephew were to say he would
do it acting as a business?

Thanks.

Never allow anyone without qualifications, in this case bricklaying, to
work for you.
You should ask for 3 quotes from established builders.
Ask your nephew a price also without him knowing the other 3 and then
decide. BUT having family doing paid work is riddled with problems.

I would bet that the nephew wants money up front for the bricks, am I
right?
You sound unsure of him and if you ARE unsure don't do it. Sounds simple I
know but if you get it wrong you will have no wall and no money. I see this
all the time and it riles me.

I hope you don't think I am insulting you or your nephew but you did ask
and I think I have given you at least something to think about.

Baz

Probably a day's work for a bricky (£200 here in SE London), but someone
has to do the footings first, so it comes down to how easy it is to dig
trench and fill it with concrete