Old 25-03-2011, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Keeping bare root soft fruit

On 25 Mar 2011 14:36:43 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

I've been thinking of ordering some soft fruit plants from J
Parkers: http://www.jparkers.co.uk/
All their stock is sent bare root. I know it's very late in the year to do
this, but they say they'll ship until end of April.

However, their delivery times are fairly lax ('28 days'). Since I can't
know when they'll arrive, I can't guarantee to have time to plant them
straightaway (even in pots). Given that the weather is warming up, is there
some way I can keep them (for a week or a fortnight, perhaps) without them
suffering?

Just hack a hole in a convenient spot, and temporarily plant them all
in it, covering gently but firmly. See "heeling in" at, e.g.:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2272122_heel...ot-plants.html
Getting very late, though. They shouldn't really have started into
growth when you plant them finally, and two apple trees I had from
Parker's during the winter are now bursting their buds.

For example, I know they're activated by soaking them in a bucket of water.
Could I leave them in that bucket for an extended period? Or I have a
spare (working) fridge: if they were put in the fridge would they go dormant
for the period (as if there's been a cold snap) or would that be too much of
a shock? Would the humidity in the fridge cause issues for mould?

The bucket is an absolute "no": an hour in water would be about the
safe maximum. I think you're right to be worried about the conditions
in a domestic fridge: no air circulation, and that's something plants
can't stand.

Any other suggestions (other than 'buy from someone else')?

Pity about that. I'd have suggested going to a nursery, or maybe a
garden centre, as soon as you have a day free: that way, you could
plant them as soon as you got home.

Thanks
Theo