Old 26-03-2011, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Quality of commercial pea seed

On Mar 26, 6:11*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"michael" *wrote

Baz *wrote:
michael *wrote
I have recently conducted an experiment to compare commercial pea
seed,bought 2011,with my own saved seed collected in 2008,and stored
in a paper bag in the garage.
In both cases 100 seeds were planted in a large seed tray as
follows.Tray filled to within 1/2" of top with my own compost.Peas
distributed evenly and pressed into compost and watered,then covered
with dry compost and put into a propagating bench set at about 20C.
My 2008 seed emerged after 6 days,and I counted 98/99 germinated
seeds.The commercial seed emerged a little later,after 10 days,but
with only 68 seed germinated.I have repeated the experiment with
almost identical results.
I can only conclude that the commercial seed was harvested
considerably earlier than 2008,or stored in poor conditions.
I am sure that many gardeners put pea seed germination failure down to
their own incompetence,but my experiment seems to show that newly
purchased seed is already quite old.
Should I complain to the seed company?
I would like to see a move towards seed companies noting on the
packets when the seed was harvested,not packed.
Michael

I havn't done an experiment but I have found that my previous years seed
saved, including broad bean and runner bean have germinated quicker and
with almost 100% success. I have saved loads from last year and hope not
have to buy any this year.

I don't understand the 2008 connection with your post. Why did you not sow
them in 2009? Why wait 'till 2011?

Baz- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your reply.I always collect pea seed from my usual
varieties,and often have plenty of seed left over,and still have some
seed from 2008.
I am sure that many gardeners find that their own saved seed from the
previous year has very good vitality,but I was both surprised how good
my 2008 seed was,and how poor was my newly bought seed
.Assuming that commercial seed growers store their seed sensibly,and I
know that some use refrigeration,my only conclusion was that my 2011
bought pea seed must have been harvested quite a few years ago.I do
not find that acceptable.
I would welcome more comments.

I've noticed the bad germination of bought pea seed too, sometimes they
actually look old. Last year I planted peas in guttering because of mouse
problems on the allotment and having to use two packets noticed the seed
from one packet just didn't germinate yet they were both in date. When we
have use our own seed from spring sown peas to get a late crop we get about
100% germination. Planted a lot of peas this year and if we get a good crop
will consider saving some seed for next season.

I wonder if they dry them too much such that they must be pre soaked for 24
hours before planting.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Dont forget it also depends on the seller of the seed, where they keep
them and where they display them.