Old 27-03-2011, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Thick rapid-growing alpine evergreen climber?

On Mar 26, 10:25*pm, Eddy
wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
Why not try Viburnum Tinus, *Evergreen, flowers and berries, not an
alpine climber but grows quite rapidly once established, esp if you
prune it back.

I would certainly try a couple of Viburnums, Dave, if the one we have
hadn't suffered so badly this last winter. *It's been left BROWN. *It'll
be interesting to see if it tries to recover in the coming months. *It's
not the only species in our garden here that appears to have been
finished off. *Three other well-established evergreen bushes were
completely browned. *And the flaxes were so badly damaged I've had to
cut them right away, right down at ground-level. *(No sign of any new
growth yet.)

Eddy.

Thinking about it, if you want a climber then
Lonicera henryi is an evergreen honeysuckle with glossy foliage and
golden-orange flowers
I've got it growing up into an oak tree, I've had up to 16 ft of
growth in a season,
David Hill