Old 27-03-2011, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Growing veggies in sewage contaminated ground - how to do sosafely?

CluelessNewbie wrote:
We've moved into a property and I am looking to start my first veggie
patch, but we discovered our sewage pipe has a small leak and so sewage
water has been leaking out of a small hole, approx 8 foot from the
veggie patch area and about 3 foot from our vine. Does this mean all
produce will be contaminated? How can we make the area safe for growing
again? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

It's probably fine. (you repaired it, right?) Just as a
precaution, maybe don't grow potatoes, onions, or leeks, or leafies
like spinach and lettuce (because you can never completely get those
clean) for a year or two.

If any place actually smells nasty, that's where I'd plant corn, or
maybe tomatoes.

-Bob