Old 27-03-2011, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Spring? !?!?

Last week in Memphis we had temps in the 70's and lower 80's . Sooooo ,
because of those predicted temps I went ahead and planted some lettuce and
spinach for salads ... and I was actually kinda worried that the temps might
get too warm too soon . Today it's 52° with temps predicted to gradually
rise to the low 70's over the next few days .
I've got some very nice looking lettuce sprouts peeking thru the soil ,
but the spinach hasn't shown much yet . I'm really looking forward to fresh
green salads in a few weeks !!
Tomatoes are just starting to come up in the starter trays , but I haven't
yet seen any signs that the marigolds are germinating . I'm figgerin' that
in two more weeks it will be safe for planting stuff that can't stand frost
.... and by then I'll have a few layers of newspaper down and covered with
more compost . I've decided not to use the fertilizer I have on the veggies
, but I will use it on the flowers . I'll be depending on natural sources
for plant nutrition this year . Can't be more dismal than last year !
--
Snag
"Snag's Organic Veggie Garden"