Old 28-03-2011, 01:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default chook questions somewhat OT

My 4 hens have now been laying regularly for about 3 months, as far as I can
tell they are fully grown and not getting any larger. They all lay almost
every day but the eggs are smallish, close to 50g each. Two of the girls
are (mostly) Australorps and a fair size the other two are somewhat smaller
but all the eggs are the same size. Will their eggs get any bigger from now
on?

Secondly, how do I stop one of them (only one particular hen) from laying
outside the nest provided? The others all happily use it and the odd one
used to use it but she has taken to going elsewhere the last few weeks. She
has decided that an old lounge we have on the verandah is the place which is
inconvenient for several reasons but at least it isn't out on the paddock
somewhere.

David