Old 28-03-2011, 08:56 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Have just been using some of these "plant selector" engines. They're
throwing up ivies, and I'm wondering if buying a few well-rooted ivies
would be worth it. I've seen ivies doing a wonderful job on walls, but
will they take to a trellis? I'm wondering about:
I(vies will do it, but you have to be patient. Like most plants, they start by getting their roots down well - they can't support a lot of top growth without good roots. So you'll have a year or two of not much growth, then a couple of years when it's doing the job exactly as you ask, and thereafter you'll be cutting back about 12 ft of extra growth every year.

Ivy will "take to" anything. It'll basically grow up and over anything in its path.