Old 28-03-2011, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Robin nesting in tricky spot

"David E. Ross" wrote:
On 3/27/11 5:36 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

It's weird. Last spring the robin drug a bunch of stuff like excelsior
to build a nest on top of the exterior light by my front door. Then she
changed her mind (always a woman's prerogative), picked it all up,
and built a nest across the street in a neighbors window sill. Did OK
there, as far as I know.

This year she's back, and she's built it, and she's nesting in it. She
doesn't even have enough room to turn around unless she cocks her
tail straight up vertically.

I'm not gonna bother her, and I doubt the mailman will interfere, but
there have to be other possibilities. I live in a densely populated
big city in the midwest US.

Any suggestions? Should I leave her be? Try to protect her (how?)?
Etc, etc.

Don't turn on the light.

Birds try the same thing here on my front door light under the covered
porch. I knock the nesting material off as they build the nest each day as
i go out. Bird poop will corrode your light if made of metal. The birds and
me scare each other as i leave the house and the birds fly away next to my
face. I tend to keep three ten inch hanging pots of fuchsias under the
covered porch. Each year at least one of the pots has a birds nest in the
middle of it. I live in the country and there are lots of places for birds
to nest.

I like the fuchsias because they attract humming birds. Each morning when I
raise the living room shade there is a good chance I will see one flying
from flower to flower from my front window.

Instead of a hanging pot, one could put a bird house in its place of the
hanging pot.