Old 28-03-2011, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Dahlia - Seed or Tuber

On Mar 28, 1:18*pm, gingerbrad
wrote:
Hi All

I am a newbie to the site so hello to you all and a here's a bit of info
about me.

I have a reasonable size plot round the back of the house and its south
facing (Leeds, North England) so we get a decent amount of sun.
Currently, mainly lawn with a border round much of it. We have a
greenhouse and wood store in the bottom of the garden. I have helped out
for a friends gardening business mainly landscaping so not afraid to get
my hands dirty. I have big plans for the garden, my wife has just not
told me what they are yet!

Anyway, i was watching Monty on gardeners world on friday and was taken
by growing dahlias from seed rather than tubers. Now i have always
steared clear of growing them from seed as i had it into my head that
they were biennial from seed (not sure why or where i got the idea
from), and i was not keen on having a section of the garden used for
this alone. Anyway, not sure who the guy was but it sounded to me like i
have been very wrong and that it is perfectly possible to grow from
seed.

Does anybody have any experience of growing dahlias from seed and if so
can you advise on which would be good ones to go for? My wife really
likes the big pompon type blooms and i really like the idea of getting
lots of seed for the same price as one tuber!

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

--
ginger

You can grow dahlias from seed but they are less likely to come true,
ie you might end up with a funnioisity. Buying tubers should
guarantee you get what it shows on the packet.
When you grow seed, tubers form which you can save (supposing it's one
you like). They are exactly the same plant.