Old 28-03-2011, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default accessing urg through outlook express

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:03:33 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"iwcwatch" wrote ...

up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through Outlook
Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of following a
thread'.' (http://www.watchesreplicaus.com/tudor-replica.html )It seems
I might not have the right set up. (I would prefer to use Outlook
Express rather than anything else) Would really appreciate some advice
as to what I should do? (Apologies for not explaining myself very well -
And please, the simplest piece of advice would probably be really
helpful)

Having re-read your post it may be all you need to do is go to "View" and
change the "Sort by..." to "Sent (conversation)" and "Sort Order" to
"Descending".
That is for the new Outlook Express which is now called Windows Live Mail
but from memory it was in the old program.... go to View then change "Sort
by..." to "Sent" and "Descending" and again in View then "Current View"
tick "Show all messages" and " Group by conversation"

Bob, it might be a good idea to explain to the OP how to /get/ to
newsgroups from Windows Live. I've just tried, and have clearly
forgotten how -- it isn't necessarily intuitive.

But, iwcwatch, I'd still advise choosing another reader as soon as
you're technically confident, as the Windows one is broken: it handles
quoted messages incorrectly (as you know!), and I understand they
aren't likely to repair it.

You'll need a news server as well as a news reader, of course.

--
Mike.