Old 28-03-2011, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default My homemade root barrier

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:30:16 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
I've used paving stones (flags) to create a root barrier. When I dug up
the garden there were tree roots just below the surface emanating from a
row of trees that were planted about 20 years ago. Don't know what trees
they are, but they are those fast growing evergreen types. Look a bit like
Christmas tress.

Anyway, the flag barrier is 61 Cm deep(2 ft)from the surface of the
garden. But, between sections there is a gap between the flags of about
4mm or 5mm.

QUESTION: Do I need to plug the gaps between flags, or will I be okay
leaving the gaps? Thanks.

I assume they are "old" flag stones, otherwise why not use short pieces of
"old" corrugated iron sheet which could be hammered into the ground. Could
be cheaper and easier.

The roots will find the gaps with the greatest of ease. But running a
sharp spade down every year should keep them at bay. They're probably
Lawyer's Friend cypress: ought to be available only under licence, and
to those who can prove they'll plant them at least a furlong from
their nearest boundary.

--
Mike.