Old 28-03-2011, 11:43 PM
eamo eamo is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgeman View Post
Yes. It would. You might have to cut some of the leafless branches back to stimulate growth but beech will regrow from old wood. If it was mine I would treat it as if I wanted to restore the hedge. You can find good notes on how to bring old beech hedging back to life at Beech Hedging - Renovation

Good luck
Great info, thanks! Would the same hold true for hornbeam please?

I just planted bare-root hornbeam whips. I need to put in a fence to keep my kids off the road and indeed to remove the temptation to be going through the growing hedge.

I am thinking of a 3 ft high picket fence, but I can't leave much gap (maybe an inch) between the pickets to avoid the kids climbing over using the rails. When the hedge matures and closes over, I would ideally like to remove the pickets to save maintenance and show off the hedge itself.

My question is, if I have such a fence, will it stop the growth of side branches on that side? And when I remove the pickets, will the bottom of the hedge develop side branches / leaves?

If not, I might have to rethink the whole picket fence idea.

Wondered what your thoughts are please?