Old 29-03-2011, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default aerating compacted soil for grass

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
The small garden has a very muddy, almost barren strip down the middle
from getting my bike in & out of the shed over the winter. The soil
is fairly compacted & seems to have quite a bit of clay underneath. I
want to grow some grass really well this year so it lasts a bit better
over next winter, and I think aerating or otherwise "uncompacting" the
soil may help the seed grow instead of just feeding the birds. But
it's a small garden so I don't want to buy & store a big piece of
rotivating equipment.

Suggestions, comments?

Has anyone tried those spiked sandals, for example? (The idea makes
sense, but I've heard that they are bunk.)

If it's solid clay then nothing will be much use, but if it's really a
narrow strip of a small garden you could just plunge a garden fork
vigourously into it and shake it around. Do it before it dries hard.

Tim W