Old 29-03-2011, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobbie[_16_] Bobbie[_16_] is offline

Default A strange Spring

On 29/03/2011 14:32, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

Roger wrote:
Rhubarb is almost ready for a first picking (which is sad 'cos I go away
for a month next week). Looking back, I've never picked any before the
middle of April in the last 12 years that I've got records for.

Our rhubarb looks pretty much ready to pick.
How does one know when it's 'ok' to pick?

We've been picking ours for a fortnight. For an established patch.
"when" is as soon as you can break off stems about 6" long.

Iirc, it gets poisonous when it's older,

It always is slightly toxic but later on in the season the concentration
of oxalic acid is higher (not good for people with gout, arthritis, kidney
problems, or toddlers or frail older people). I don't pick it after the
end of July. Anyway, the first few months of growth are tender and tasty;
after August it's tougher and bitterer

so a too early picking is ok other
than potentially damaging to the plant - nothing to stop me making an early
crumble tonight?

Young plants in their first season should be allowed to keep their stems
so the leaves can photosynthesise and build up a strong root system. Once
a root system is well established and being well fed, nothing short of a
direct nuclear hit will damage it.
Your boys might enjoy a favourite pud of my boys; stewed rhubarb mixed
with a packet of raspberry jelly cubes and allowed to set.

Janet.

No idea if Vickie's boys would like it but I do know who would, and I
have been looking for more things to do with the rhubarb glut we have
had since the plants have been a couple of years old. It makes a lovely
sorbet to go with a rather rich dinner.
Getting back into making *proper* fresh fruit jelly again, and this
sounds delicious.

Bobbie