Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave Millman

Default Algae Water Bloom!?!

"B." wrote:

Once again...another algae water bloom. It seems to happen twice a month.

Several respondants sense there may be a recurring cause for your recurring
bloom.

As a reactor I pump the CO2 through a powerhead (currently looking
for a more efficient way). I only run filters at night and my total wattage
of light is 160 watt of florescent. My lights are on at 160 watts 8 hoursof
the day and 80 watts 1.5 hours doing the start and finish of the photo
period. I fertilize my plants twice a week with seachums comperhensive plant
supplements and once a week with leaf zone. I also do water changes once a
week of about 15%.

You've got several recurring events here, not all of them necessary. Try
simplifying your system to see what changes that brings about, then restore the
complexities if you believe them necessary. The goal is to eliminate periodicity
in your maintenance and lighting, to see how that impacts the periodic blooms.
Specifically:

1. Leave the filters on 24 hours.

2. Go to a simple 12 on/12 off light schedule. If you want to
recreate dawn and dusk to reduce fish stress from abrupt
lighting, keep them to 15 minutes. I'm trying to eliminate
lighting issues and maximize plant photosynthesis.

3. Although this is not likely your cause, consider mixing up
all your ferts into a weekly batch, then adding 1/7 per day.
At least the daily regimen will make it harder to forget!

4. Finally, more fast growing stem plants never hurts.

We are assuming that you are fighting ALGAE blooms (green water). If we were
talking periodic BACTERIAL blooms (milky grey or white water), the most common
cause is when people periodically clean their bio filter sponges in tap water or
disturb dirty substrates in under-planted tanks. In that case:

A. Clean sponges and everything else in aquarium water,
not tap water. NEVER clean bio filtration material in
tap water!

B. Use Amquel or Prime if you are not already. If you use a
Python, add enough Amquel/Prime for the WHOLE TANK,
not just the 15%.