Old 29-03-2011, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Starting seeds in agar or gelatin?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:27:11 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

They've been stored just fine, but they are 9 years old. Five years
is about the limit for pepper and tomato seeds. (Onion seeds are only
good for 1 year.) I had some fresher seeds of this variety 2 years
ago and planted them for a seed crop and had a total crop failure due
to rabbits and poor weather. I found this other packet from 2002 over
the winter.

-Bob

Have you tried putting a couple directly into potting medium? I find
that can sometimes help propagate & keep alive seedlings that would
otherwise go into shock from being transplanted.

I am a collector of seeds, myself, and try all sorts of workarounds
this time of year.

Boron