Old 29-03-2011, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Orchid Help

On 29/03/2011 16:51, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In ,
says...

Roger wrote:
SWMBO was given a Tesco's Phalaenopis orchid in flower last August.
Flowers lasted till about January, but now I'm wondering what to do.

This tip of the main stem where is flowered has turned light brown and
looks as if it is dying. A branch stem about 3/4 way up also flowerd,
but still is blackish and looks healthy.

There is one small bud about one inch along the spur, and a good sized
bud on the main stem below where the branch comes out.

Should I prune back and if so to which bud, and how close down to the
bud. Thanks

The rule that I have always followed for orchids is:

* when it finishes flowering, cut back the stem as far back as possible
- will take longer to flower again, but will flower better than if

* ... cut back stem to just above a notch - will flower again sooner

If you still have buds, I would suggest cuttnig back the spent stem to the
nearest notch to where the branching occurs.

Sorry if I am a bit confusing. By buds I meant small triangular pieces
on the stem. Not quite sure if that is what you mean by notches? Should
I cut below the branch or above?

If in doubt do nowt is not a bad maxim. The plant will flower again if
you keep watering it with rainwater and the odd bit of orchid feed.

If you cut the flowering stem back to just above one of the nodes there
is a good chance it will stimulate earlier flowering but a smaller stem
of flowers. I generally leave the old flowering stems to dry out
naturally and remove them only when a new stem develops.

Regards,
Martin Brown