Old 29-03-2011, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Chainsaw blade replacement

wrote in message ...
Bill Grey wrote:

wrote in message
Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:24:35 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

"mark" wrote in message
I've borrowed a petrol chainsaw and offered to replace the cutting
chain
as part of the deal.
It is not one of the main brands. Not done this before so is it
just
matter of getting a replacement chain the same length or is there
something else I need to look out for?

mark

ooops...meant this to go to DIY group.

mark

Rather than replacement, have you considered resharpening the existing
blade - it's more environment friendly and a lot cheaper. Most
chainsaw blades can be resharpened to "as good as new" state about 8
times.

Best place to start is finding a company near you that services lawn
mowers and the like - they'll usually handle the resharpening job as
well or will know someone who can. Worth a try at least.

Where I live, a local company will resharpen my chain for about £6
compared to about £19 for a new chain.

The company I recommended does sharpening, but it's a good idea to
have a spare chain (or two) so that when you're using the saw you can
just change the chain if it gets blunt and then sharpen them at
leisure later.

--
Chris Green

Sharpening a chain is far easier than changing a chain "in the field"

Not on my chainsaw! :-)

Changing the chain is a matter of a couple of minutes, unscrew the
adjuster, pop the old chain off, pop the new chain on, screw up the
adjuster.

I agree that a quick 'sharpen up' with a file doesn't take long but it
certainly takes a whole lot longer than changing the chain on mine.

--
Chris Green

Having worked alongside forestry workers clearing a ride for a survey I was
doing, I noticed they sharpened, or touched up, their saws very few trees or
so that they felled.. I suppose it worked for them.

Bill