Old 29-03-2011, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Orchid Help

"Roger Tonkin" wrote ...

SWMBO was given a Tesco's Phalaenopis orchid in flower last August.
Flowers lasted till about January, but now I'm wondering what to do.

This tip of the main stem where is flowered has turned light brown and
looks as if it is dying. A branch stem about 3/4 way up also flowerd,
but still is blackish and looks healthy.

There is one small bud about one inch along the spur, and a good sized
bud on the main stem below where the branch comes out.

Should I prune back and if so to which bud, and how close down to the
bud. Thanks

They will flower again from old flower stems as long as the stems are still
alive, cut any brown dead bits back to just above a node (bud?) and wait and
see.
One word of warning is that some (especially the white ones IME) can flower
themselves to death so if the plants looks anything other than in rude
health cut the flower spike off completely and let the plant build itself up
again before it throws up another flower spike or two.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden