View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Old 30-03-2011, 11:18 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttrim01 View Post
Hi
I would really appreciate some help in deciding what type of hedge to plant as a boundary hedge between us and the neighbours.

The hedge needs to be as dense as possible to give us some privacy from an extremely nosey and troublesome neighbour. We intend to grow the hedge to a height of around 6ft and it must act as a dense screen. Maybe prickly?
A Laurel hedge is a main contender at the moment because of its nice big leaves and i assume it will fill out fast.

We are looking to buy online and plant as soon as possible.

Thanks
Matt
Hi Matt, You dont say where you live ? but with the sort of thing your talking about, I dont suppose it really matters. Laurel would be fine but I'm a little concerned about you keeping it to 6ft without becoming a slave to it ! As your asking, I would be more inclined to plant Eleagnus ebbingii, its almost as vigorous as laurel, very dense but it does have spines and also very scented small white flowers but i think you will find it easier to keep it dense to the ground (something that laurel doesnt always do) If you wanted to be really mean and were prepared to wait a little longer, consider also Pyracantha which is viciously prickly but stunning when either in flower or berry.
I think, looking at all options, giving your requirements, i'd go for the Eleagnus ebbingii.
lannerman