Old 30-03-2011, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pre packed rhubard roots

Grub wrote:
I recently purchased a rhubard root that I purchased from my local
plant shop. It was one of those that are in little plastic bags of
earth sealed with a cardboard label at the top. After opening it I was
presented with loads of earth and what looked like a clump and damp
cardboard. Not really knowing what I was doing I pulled this
'cardboard' apart looking for some kind of root but found nothing,
the whole thing just fell apart in my hand. I am guessing that clump
of cardboard WAS the rhunbard, is that right??

Probably

I feel a little ripped off and certainly will not purchased these
packaged roots again.

Like any living thing you buy it may be in good condition or not so good
depending on how old it is and how it has been stored. Next time pick
through them and choose the best looking one. A viable rhubarb crown would
generally look and feel like a small woody clump with the remains of old
shoots on the top (or it may have little new shoots emerging) and roots on
the bottom. My guess is that the one you got was attacked by fungus in the
bag that destroyed the crown.

David