Old 31-03-2011, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default Keeping bare root soft fruit

Mike Lyle wrote:
Just hack a hole in a convenient spot, and temporarily plant them all
in it, covering gently but firmly. See "heeling in" at, e.g.:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2272122_heel...ot-plants.html
Getting very late, though. They shouldn't really have started into
growth when you plant them finally, and two apple trees I had from
Parker's during the winter are now bursting their buds.

Thanks. In the end I had a look around and found what I wanted wasn't
vastly more expensive at Blackmoor (being a place I've visited and trust).
When I went to checkout it said delivery was a tenner, but I went back a
screen to check something then went forward again and a 'free delivery'
option appeared. Also using the discount code 'facebook' got another 10%
off. Which reduced the price to about the same as Parker's for a few fewer
plants.

Ordered on Sunday, dispatched on Tuesday (last day this year for bare root),
received this morning, now in the ground. Which is a good thing, because
the blackcurrants were already sprouting.

Should I be doing winter pruning on newly-planted fruit bushes, or is it too
late when they're sprouting?

Pity about that. I'd have suggested going to a nursery, or maybe a
garden centre, as soon as you have a day free: that way, you could
plant them as soon as you got home.

I had a look at our local (within walking distance), but it's something of a
'leisure destination' place - all patio furniture and coffee shop. The
selection of fruit wasn't too bad (almost no raspberries left though), but
prices were about 3x Parker's.

Theo