Old 01-04-2011, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Cucumbers

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 12:28:09 +0000, gingerbrad wrote:

Hi

Last year we tried to grow some cucumbers in the greenhouse but they
really struggled and we got next to nothing for our work. So this year
rather than taking up greenhouse space we are going to try an outside
variety at the allotment like our neighbour (Yorkshire) which seemed to
do quite welll.

I haven't seen him this year yet to ask what he grew so does anybody
have any experience or any advice of which type to go for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've found that cucumbers are one of the easiest things to grow. I've
grown several varieties in my back garden, which doesn't get a lot of sun,
and I've always had good yields. I'm in Massachusetts which has a fairly
short growing season, usually pretty wet but last years was hot and dry.
Don't know how my climate compares to yours but I expect it's fairly
similar.