Old 01-04-2011, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Orchid Help

Martin wrote:
I've found putting it out of the way and forgetting to water for weeks at a
time is the way to bump them into rebellious flowering.

I'm going to try that!

We do the same keeping the orchids out of the sun and inside the
house. So far they have all flowered again and again.

I seem to have accidentally hit open the perfect way of getting my orchids
to go a bit mad. It may be coincidence.

Normally they all lived on the living room (north facing) window, and got a
bit forgotten about. Apart from the non-phalaenopsis one (not a cymbidium
or cambria, cos I have killed all of those off) which specifically said it
wanted direct sun.

Then I got a bit annoyed with them and kept forgetting to water them. So I
moved the non-flowering ones to a trough on the (also north facing) upstairs
bathroom window, and kind of ignored them. It was generally warm and damp
in there, but they didn't get watered often. But now and then I would dunk
them in the still quite hot bath water before emptying it.

Now every time I move a not-flowering-any-more orchid to the bathroom it
starts flowering within a couple of weeks and I have to move it back to
another window sill! (I've got a dark pink, a light pink, a white and a
yellow on the go atm, plus the south facing one, which is covered in lilac
coloured flowers!)