Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Keeping bare root soft fruit

Mike Lyle wrote:
Oh, gosh! I'm scared to take responsibility for this decision, so
don't blame me... I don't really know, but intuition tells me to prune
red and white currants and gooseberries lightly right away, but to
leave black currants alone till next winter. As long as your new
plants are allowed to produce a good root system in their first years,
it probably doesn't matter *too* much.

The only problem I would have with that is that I've found blackcurrants
will fruit no matter what you do to them, and red and white currants will
only fruit if they feel like it. I'd be very nervous of pruning anything at
this time of year. But then, I'm notoriously light handed with the seceturs
around here.

Speaking of which, I have a suspicion Nick may have masacred our summer crop
of raspberries by hacking them down at the same time as his late chop on the
autumn fruiting ones (which was /very/ late this year!). I thin kin the
past they have forgiven him cos he's hacked them back all at the same time,
but a lot earlier. Ho hum, will have to see how it goes. Always get too
many raspberries and strawberries anyhow.