Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Orchid Help

"Pam Moore" wrote

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

Personally I would not have put all the aerial roots in the compost
but left a couple out.

I've looked and there are 2 new aerial roots growing just above the
compost so therre's still hope. I've moved it to my bathroom,

Another question:
I have a cymbidium which was in flower about 10 years ago and has
never flowered since. However, it was a sickly thing, but now,
despite having been repotted twice, it is filling the pot.
No sign of flower stems. Would NOW be a good time to split and repot
it? As with the other one, I feed them seldom, and only with orchid
feed.

Again with Cymbidiums temperature is the key, they need cool nights to
initiate flower spikes which is why they are best left outside all summer
and into the autumn (in an open aspect but shaded from the sun type place)
until it gets near frosty, perhaps late September, when they can be taken
into a cool but frost free room/greenhouse. Do not forget, as I did one
year, and leave them out to get frosted!
Cymbidiums also seem to need more feed than other orchids, a friend used his
wormery liquid to feed his and they flowered superbly. Chicken poo pellets
work well too.
Some are just coming into flower so I wouldn't repot now, indeed unless it's
growing outside it's pot I wouldn't anyway. Wait 'till the early summer when
it's growing away well.
If you get no flowers this year then feed well all summer and in late August
give it a couple of feeds of half strength Tomato feed, but don't keep it
too warm. Don't forget to flush the compost through every other watering to
avoid the build-up of salts.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden