Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Blue Tits

On 2011-04-01 12:22:55 +0100, "Bertie Doe" said:

"Darkside" wrote in message ...

In article , 'Mike'
writes

Blue Tits in and out of the box!!!

The other day a pair of blue tits were checking mine out. Today one of
them had a good peck at some old garden twine hanging from a post then
flew to the box. Time to put out some nesting material.
--
Sue ]

I often compost the 'fur' that collects on the tumble drier filter. I
wonder if this would be ok to put out as a nesting material? It forms a
nice soft layer and can be up to 5mm thick.
Bertie

I've found the birds won't take it if it's artifical fibres!! I suppose it
'holds' the rain water more or something - doesn't drain and dry out as
well, perhaps? Of course, we may just have snobby birds with a penchant
for linen, cashmere, silk and natural wool. ;-)

--
Sacha

Perhaps I'll give the drier fur idea a miss. I noticed a female blackbird
ripping out marginal plants from my garden feature/pond thingy - obviously
for nesting material. Jackdaws and sparrows have removed most of the straw I
put down, to protect the dahlias.
We left the s/mkt about 9pm this evening, quite dark, but a robin was
singing merrily from one of the car park trees. Definitely Spring has
sprung.
Bertie