Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel rbel is offline

Default tadpoles

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 23:07:45 +0200, wrote:

I had some frogspawn in my pond the other week which was just about to
hatch but then we had a very cold spell and a thin layer of ice had
formed on the pond over night which had killed off the little tadpoles
as they had all stopped wriggling.

I scooped up about six dead tadpoles from the pond in a coffee jar and
just left them in the garage, a week later I was about to empty the jar
and found to my amazement that all six dead tadpoles had come to life
and where swimming in the jar, I had left the others in the pond but I
can't see if any of them had survived because the goldfish may have
eaten them.

For some days after they hatch tadpoles tend to be quite inactive,
particularly if it is cold, to the extent that they can frequently appear
dead. This was very noticeable with ours this year.

--
rbel