Old 26-02-2003, 03:51 AM
jammer

Default Iris and mulch

Thanks, Carlotta. i don't give 2 hoots about the mint, that is the
roomie's request, so i will plant it in a pot for him. No biggie. I
will initially mulch the clematis 4" and then I am thinking something
like hostas to shade the roots even better.

Caladiums. Two words. GET SOME. I had never had any before and thought
they would surely die here in the summer, but i bought one plant last
year and that plant was my focal point many times. SOOOO pretty and
loved the heat! (in the shade) Also, i dug it up one day to see if it
would grow in the pond, and found these little baby bulbs. (tubers?) I
poked one down in a house plant and it has sent up 3 leaves so far, 3
seperate plants. When planting time comes, i am going to pour out the
dirt and see how it is all connected. I assume i can devide them into
3 plants. My spider plant is freaking out! haha Now i have either 24
or 20 bulbs and can't wait to plant them. Another one i tried for the
first time that was very happy, an elephant ear bulb/plant. That's
another nice one that loves the heat. (in the shade)
Zone7A
juls
On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:48:07 -0600, "CWilde"
wrote:

Lots of votes on iris, so for an imo. My summer water bill gets high enough
that I mulch everything. I vary the thickness according to the plant. 1/2 -
1" over the iris - some other types of plants 4". Definitely when replanting
the tubers you want them just under the surface of the soil.

Definitely do 4" of mulch on the clematis.

Mint, any type I've ever tried is invasive.

Let me know how the caladiums grow, I've been looking at pictures and
drooling, but haven't ordered yet.

Carlotta
zone 4/5

jammer