Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default Keeping bare root soft fruit

wrote:
The only problem I would have with that is that I've found blackcurrants
will fruit no matter what you do to them, and red and white currants will
only fruit if they feel like it. I'd be very nervous of pruning anything at
this time of year. But then, I'm notoriously light handed with the seceturs
around here.

Ah well, tis done now. The instructions that came with them quite strongly
emphasised that blackcurrants should be cut back almost to the base. Given
they started about 3' tall, I didn't feel that's the sort of thing that can
be ignored.

The pre-existing redcurrants seem to fruit quite happily... despite being in
a buddleia thicket. This is a cunning plan for stopping the birds getting
at them - let the weeds grow so densely they can't get in. The currants
don't seem to mind.

Speaking of which, I have a suspicion Nick may have masacred our summer crop
of raspberries by hacking them down at the same time as his late chop on the
autumn fruiting ones (which was /very/ late this year!). I thin kin the
past they have forgiven him cos he's hacked them back all at the same time,
but a lot earlier. Ho hum, will have to see how it goes. Always get too
many raspberries and strawberries anyhow.

I've hacked the newly planted (autumn) raspberries too. At least it means I
can see which canes are still alive...

Theo