Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JIP[_2_] JIP[_2_] is offline

Default tadpoles

wrote:

I had some frogspawn in my pond the other week which was just about to
hatch but then we had a very cold spell and a thin layer of ice had
formed on the pond over night which had killed off the little tadpoles
as they had all stopped wriggling.

I scooped up about six dead tadpoles from the pond in a coffee jar and
just left them in the garage, a week later I was about to empty the
jar and found to my amazement that all six dead tadpoles had come to
life and where swimming in the jar, I had left the others in the pond
but I can't see if any of them had survived because the goldfish may
have eaten them.

Stephen.

A winter or so back, I found one of the goldfish from my pond lying in
the middle of the lawn, looking very dead - my best guess is that the
dam raiding heron had caught and dropped it. There had been a heavy
frost and the fish was covered in ice. Just to follow an inkling I put
the fish back in the pond, and after some time it swam off to join it's
friends.

It never tried to escape again!!

JIP