Old 03-04-2011, 01:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default How to calibrate Republic EZ broadcast spreader

On Apr 2, 5:52*pm, gilken wrote:
As the forsythia are about to bloom in Connecticut, I prepared to put
down fertilizer and crabgrass preventer, but lost the book on my
Republic EZ broadcast spreader. *There is a mark to calibrate it, but I
don't remember what number I should set on the dial, and the internet
has not helped so far. *Does anyone have the information. *Thanks, *
gilken

--
gilken

I've never re-calibrated my Scoots since I put it together 15 years
ago.
I just keep an eye on how fast the particular product is going out and
if
the rate seems off, then I adjuct the dial a bit. From experience
the
suggested settings on the bag are often off one way or the other from
what you actually need anyway. Probably depends on factors like
how much moisture may have gotten into the particular product, etc.

So, I just start with a part of a bag,
say 1/4 and keep an eye on how far that goes, relative to the area it
should cover, then adjust accordingly. And if you're off somewhat it
won;t matter much. I'd tend to err on the side of a bit too light,
you
can always do a 2nd pass.

I know the forsythia guidline is widely used for pre-emergent, but
I think it's still very early to be putting it down right now. I'm in
coastal NJ and I would not put it down here for a couple weeks.
CG doesn't germinate until you have temps in the high 70s or 80s.
By that time the effectiveness could be wearing off. I prefer to do
it a bit later and use a product with Dimension which will not only
prevent germination but kill very small CG plants too.